Image Map

Monday, November 17, 2014

What is the Definition of Being Successful?











Jeans: Target
Boots: Michael Kors
Tank: Nordstrom
Cardigan: Target
Necklace: Forever 21
I hope everyone had an awesome weekend!

I did. 
A couple friend bloggers and I went on a thrifting together and it was so fun! (I will post pictures this week and tell you more about it!)
I was able so spend some quality time with W on Saturday night and continue to find new ways to cook good, healthy meals for my challenge (see here). I need to post a recipe on what I cooked!
Sunday I started my first day on the coffee committee at church! I am so excited about it. I love church and I love coffee.. such a great pair! :) 

What is the definition of success being successful?

I think a lot of people get stuck into thinking there is a specific path to success: having a dream job, getting married within your "appropriate" timeline, having kids, getting promoted, being a positive role model in the community, retire comfortably, etc. 

I think people get a false perception that there is a specific timeline for their life and which events need to occur in their life and specific things that need to happen in order to be successful.

But when really thinking about being successful, is there really one true definition for it? 

I don't think so. 

Why dont I think so? 
All people start from different places, have different things happen to them, believe different things, want different things. How can there be one true definition of success when no everyone has the same starting point? Or even the same desired ending point?

For example, success for my dad was getting out of Iran, getting an US education, making a life for himself in a foreign country, learning the language and continuing to grow in wealth. 

Success for me? Being happy, having the ability to help others, serving for Christ,  Jesus being pleased with me and more. 

Success is having a positive attitude even when you have some doubt
Success is keeping your hope alive in your illness
Success is putting another meal on the table for your family
Success is being able to give a little more than you were able to before
Success is being able to give at all
Success is making it from home to work and back again safely
Success is not giving up even when you didn't get the interview

There is not one definition for being successful, but many.

No matter where you are in your life, there are so many successes. You are successful. It's so freeing to know you don't have to be chained down to the mainstream idea of success. 

What is being successful to you?

Do you believe you are a success? I do. :)

xoxo,
-A

Let me pray for you.
Lord, help remind us to not be conformed by this world but focused on the things of the kingdom and of the Spirit. Help us remember that we all have unique journeys that you have planned for us and that your dreams are far better and bigger than we could imagine. I pray for health, healing and prosperity for all of you today. 
In Jesus name, Amen.

21 comments:

  1. Love your outfit! I think being successful is trying your hardest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE those boots! :) Being successful means working hard despite the circumstances. Overcoming something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving the outfit. I believe success is doing the best that you can with what you have,

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really, really love the boots!

    ReplyDelete
  5. success is happiness for me, and that means being content where I am and my abilities

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think a big part of being successful is always striving to do more, but also being grateful for what you have.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Success is meeting a goal- no matter what it is. Thanks for a great post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your paragraph of the definition of success. Such a great reminder that success is not in what you do but how you do it! Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think success is just being able to do everything you love, but still wanting to grow and change.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We definitely all have to create our own definitely of success. Love the outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cute outfit. I think everyone defines their own success - for me it's being a good person, being helpful to others, and raising my son to be a kind person :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nikki @ www.MBAsahm.comNovember 17, 2014 at 6:46 PM

    It's so true, success is totally misunderstood...and too often a dollar amount is tied to it. It's so much better to just aspire to be happy and fulfilled! Thanks for talking about a good topic :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree that it means something different to everyone. Two years ago it would have meant starting and growing my own business, today with a 6 month old in tow it sometimes means getting to shower!

    ReplyDelete
  14. To me being successful means I am doing what God had called me to do. Right now that is being a mom to my amazing children. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. yay thrifting!
    I've thinking a lot lately about being successful and where I'm at in life...good post.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What an important topic. It is so easy to get caught up in cultural definitions of success and miss your own personal calling. Still not sure for myself, but working on it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. This was asked in a lot of my pageant interviews. "How do you define success?" After being asked about it a lot I made sure to really sit down and think of what success meant to me. Ultimately I decided it meant feeling satisfied with the work I did - not matter if the out come was exactly what I wanted. If I can look back and be happy with what I put into it. Then it is a success.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think my definition of success varies from day to day. Sometimes I'm a success for getting all my many goals for the day accomplished. Sometimes I'm successful that my kids and hubby and I are all still breathing at the end of the day! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is a great analysis. I think my definition of success is definitely to be happy with your life, or to be working towards a life that does make you happy.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love our style! I love your outfit :D
    Fabulous

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love your outfit. My definition of successful is feeling happy and comfortable financially in my life.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are welcome! I appreciate them so much! Thanks for tuning in and showing love! <3