Image Map

Monday, October 27, 2014

Psalm 23: I Need A Shepherd









Shirt: Target
Scarf: Target
Pants: Zara
Shoes: Target
Happy Start of the Week!

How are you? 

This week was very eventful. I attended some blogger events including the MN Blogger Conference this weekend! It was great meeting other bloggers and also meeting some in person that I have been communicating online with for awhile! 

Church service was awesome (as always) and then I was able to spend time with a couple girlfriends. I always have such a great time with them. I thank God for blessing me with the time to spend with them because sometimes time just slips away from us.

I am going to word vomit a little bit today but this is something that I have needed to hear and learn and think it could help maybe you, too! :)

Psalm 23.
That's the title of my post today. 
Partly is because it's one of my favorite chapters. 
But the meaning is what fills me. 


Why would God liken us as sheep? 
He could've picked anything (like my favorite animal- a tiger!) but why did He choose sheep?
Because sheep desperately need a Shepherd!

"If God is your shepherd, we no longer have to chase the right situation. We just have to chase the shepherd." - Carl Lentz

John 10

"I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me— just as the Father knows me and I know the Father—and I lay down my life for the sheep. I have other sheep that are not of this sheep pen. I must bring them also. They too will listen to my voice, and there shall be one flock and one shepherd."

Why studying being a sheep and following the shepherd intrigues me so much is because the beauty of the relationship.

The sheep completely trust the shepherd. The Shepherd knows everything the sheep needs. They know how to make them stay in the flock, the know how to lead the flock, they know everything about their sheep. It's the Shepherd job to protect the flock and to lead them.

The sheep do not worry because they are in full trust of their shepherd. They have full security in the shepherd.

I am a sheep because I need a shepherd. I need Jesus. I need to be led. He is my Good Shepherd. What does the Good Shepherd do?

The Good Shepherd will always do two things:

1. The shepherd always corrects
We don't always like to be corrected or disciplined. But one thing God does for us is disciplines to correct us. It's a way of Him showing His love! 

I used to think sometimes that when something bad was happening, God was punishing me. It wasn't until I starting knowing God more that I started to be able to recognize His correction. I used to think that if God was correcting me, He was mad at me. Truth be told, He isn't mad. He is teaching. What a great love that is. He corrects us without being mad- He simply knows what is best for us. So don't take God's discipline as punishment, but as correction so you can get put on your right path and go down the road to prosperity!

It makes me think how much I have missed because I didn't want to listen to God's correction! How many miracles that I passed up or postponed because I couldn't simply follow God's correction. It takes putting pride aside and humbling one's self to be able to truly learn how to follow and accept correction.

Hebrews 12

"My son, do not make light of the Lord’s discipline, and do not lose heart when he rebukes you, because the Lord disciplines the one he loves, and he chastens everyone he accepts as his son.
Endure hardship as discipline; God is treating you as his children. For what children are not disciplined by their father? If you are not disciplined—and everyone undergoes discipline—then you are not legitimate, not true sons and daughters at all. Moreover, we have all had human fathers who disciplined us and we respected them for it. How much more should we submit to the Father of spirits and live! They disciplined us for a little while as they thought best; but God disciplines us for our good, in order that we may share in his holiness.  No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it."

2. The shepherd always protects

Whatever you do or wherever you go, God's protection will always, always, ALWAYS be over you. He is a protector! No matter what you do, His hand of protection will be all over you.

He will protect you from things that you don't even know you need protection from. That's how good our God is! When you truly know how protecting God is, you live a life of faith, not fear. & it's a process. I am still learning- but what a beautiful thing it is to wake up in the morning and know I am protected by the Almighty One!

Can you think of a time where something happened and when you think about it, it could've and/or should've gone totally bad? I can think of many. How now that I am a sheep, I can see God's protection over certain situations in my life. 

Even when I did not know Him, He knew me. & He was protecting me because He knew His plan for me. I thank Him for His protection, His love, His plan, His Grace!

"The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing.
He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,
he refreshes my soul.
He guides me along the right paths

for his name’s sake.
Even though I walk
through the darkest valley,
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.

You prepare a table before me
 n the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.
Surely your goodness and love will follow me
all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the Lord
forever."

Make sure to highlight those scriptures in your Bibles! :) 


I hope learning about our Good Shepherd has uplifted you today. It sure has uplifted me.

I hope you have a great rest of your day!

xoxo,
-A



22 comments:

  1. The photos you shared are so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely photos. Lovely scriptures. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the inspiration. You are so beautiful! Love those boots.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your reflection on this scripture. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your outfit, dear, and I love your heart for the Lord!! I was just reading Psalm 23 before I got online .. I like to close my eyes after reading each verse and picture the green pastures and the quiet waters! Thank you for reminding us how imperative it is for us to follow our Shepherd with faith & trust! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this teaching, sometimes its so difficult for us to get it through our thick skulls that He is leading! You know that sheep that keeps going off to the side LOL. But just like a good shepherd, he comes back and puts us back on track. Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Handing over the reins to God and telling he's got it, is still stupidly hard. I know he's got it (just look at Jeremiah 29:!1) but sometimes I still don't believe he knows best for me. Still got to get it into my thick skull (As LovelyLadyJB puts it!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. One of my favorites :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know what you mean girl. But He truly does know the best for us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is so true, Jena! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like to do the same things! It is one of my favorite verses because it paints such a beautiful picture of perfect peace. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, Janet! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks, Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Deidre! Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks, Julie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous! Love your scarf and boots especially :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I looooooovveee your scarf! It is so pretty and it transitions perfectly for fall!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks, Ashley! Both from Target :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks Leanna! :) Target!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are welcome! I appreciate them so much! Thanks for tuning in and showing love! <3