Image Map

Wednesday, October 8, 2014

DIY: Quinoa Enchilada Casserole

For the 100th time... Happy Fall!

Many of you may not know, but I LOVE to cook and try new ways to make healthy food yummy.

So the new hip high fiber food that everyone talks about is Quinoa. But, unless you put in your own "umph!" it can taste bland. So it has been a new thing for me to try to incorporate quinoa in dishes to get the fiber and protein while also having a dish of yummy flavors.

If you know me personally, you know I am pretty much obsessed with black beans. They are such a staple food in my home. They are high in protein, fiber and low in fat. All you need is a little salt and lime to make those babies taste great!

This recipe I made has both those thing- a fiber powerhouse!

Quinoa Enchilada Casserole!

Ingredients:
1 cup dry organic quinoa
2 cups of black beans (or to your liking)
cilantro
Enchilada sauce or taco sauce (to your liking)
1 Package Low fat cheese (or regular- your choice!)
 2 tablespoons Salt
1 tablespoon Pepper
1 Tablespoon of Cumin
1 Lime

Optional Ingredients:
- 1/2 avocado
- sour cream or greek yogurt
- 1 bag of corn kernels

Preheat oven to 375:
1] Cook the quinoa following the package instructions
2] Cook black beans according to instructions (if dry bagged). For canned black beans, rinse black beans and heat over stove for 10 minutes.
3] Squeeze half of lime in with black beans while heating over stove.
3] After quinoa is cooked, add black beans, cilantro, enchilada sauce, salt, pepper, cumin, and 1 handful of cheese.
4] Spray baking pan with non stick spray
5] Place combined ingredients in the baking pan and even the leveling
6] Squeeze more lime onto the ingredients (to your liking)
7] To your discretion, sprinkle cheese on the top of the dish
8] Place dish in oven and bake for 15 min!

After dish is baked:
1] cut avocado up and put little bits on top ( I didn't because unfortunately I am not a fan of avocado!)
2] Put leftover cilantro on top
3] Cut yourself a piece, put a dollop of greek yogurt (or sour cream) on top and enjoy! Go ahead and add more salsa on top if your prefer that too :)

One tip: I don't typically measure my spices (salt, pepper, cumin, enchilada sauce)- I start conservative and add more if it needs more flavor. So no need to go off the exact measurements in this recipe. Cater it to your liking! :)








Enjoy & have a great day!

-A
follow me: facebook || twitter || instagram || bloglovin


14 comments:

All comments are welcome! I appreciate them so much! Thanks for tuning in and showing love! <3