Image Map

Sunday, January 5, 2014

Foodspirations: Fish Tacos!

Hey Lovelies!

I have recently started being on a health kick so I am starting a new segment called Foodspirations! Basically, any new food that I see and would like to make myself- I am actually going to attempt!

Today I am going to share a recipe with you that I have recently fallen in love with. I was at Crave America on Friday and I got their blackened Walleye fish tacos for lunch- and they were so amazing! 

So last, I decided to try and make my own version of fish tacos with a healthier twist with a side of a cheesy sweet corn, black bean and rice casserole.

Take a look:









Serving Size: About 6 tacos
Whole pan of 

Ingredients:

3 tilapia fillets
spices of choice to add flavor to fish (I used paprika and a little Lowry's salt)
Limes
1 bushel Cilantro
Cabbage
Light Spicy Mayo (make homemade or buy from store)
1-2 bags light Mexican blend cheese
1 can black beans
1 bag sweet corn kernels
6" tortilla of choice
1 small red onion

How I made it:

Fish:
I heated a pan with a little olive oil
I cut the fillets into bite size pieces
I put the fish into the pan and added the salt and spices right away to help soak them in
Let the fish cook for about 10- 15 min or until cooked on low heat 

Rice: 
for a 9x9 pan of casserole, heat about 1.5 cups of water and bring to boil in pot
after water boils, put 1 cup of rice in and bring to boil again
Let it simmer with lid on pot on low heat
Let rice cook for about 20 minutes.. you will be the best judger to know if your rice is cooked. 

Casserole:
While Rice is cooking, dice onions in to small pieces in cook in a small pan until cooked completely. 
In a small pot, poor can of black beans into the pot and cook for about 10 min or until beans are cooked. After beans are cooked, rinse the beans and place in separate in separate bowl. 

After I cooked the beans, I used the same pot to cook the corn kernels. Depending on what kind you get- just follow cooking instructions on the bag. I added 1/2 cup of water and cooked over heat for 5 min. After cooked, add into the same bowl as black beans.

Once onions are cooked, put them into the bowl with the corn and black beans and mix together.

When the rice is cooked, mix rice, black beans, onion and corn together.
Place into a 9x9 pan and spread shredded cheese on top.

Heat oven to 350 degrees. 
Once heated, put pan in the oven and cook for about 15 min.

Toppings:
Cut up cabbage for desired amount as well as the cilantro


Once everything is cooked, put fish into the tortillas and add toppings including spicy mayo.
I also squeezed some lime on top to add more flavor and then I also added a slice of lime on the plate for those who like extra lime (like me!)

Once cheese is melted on casserole, take out of the oven and serve. 

Note that you can cook everything simultaneously in the way you desire. 

Overall, its pretty simple! Cooking instructions for everything should be on its packaging so you can make them the way that fits you best. 

They turned out delicious! 

Please comment with any questions or comments! I love to hear from you :)

-A



4 comments:

All comments are welcome! I appreciate them so much! Thanks for tuning in and showing love! <3