Image Map

Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Going Grain-Free


Hello, Loves!

I hope everyone had a fantastic weekend. I did! It was my birthday over the weekend (Feb 21) and I turned the big 2-4!

I had such a blast- so many loved ones came and celebrated with me. 

I wrote a facebook status thanking everyone for all of their birthday wishes and I then proceeded to tag everyone who spent my birthday with me. When I continued tagging everyone, I noticed how many people there were. I was so overjoyed and felt so blessed that I have so many close friends and family. It really made me realize how blessed I am with my relationships. :)

So, as you may have seen with past posts, I have tried so many things for dieting. Some have worked, some have not, but either way, I tend to gain the weight back no matter what I do. 

One thing I have always done is rely on exercise to lose weight, but the second I would stop, I would gain the weight back. I realized one thing I never really became disciplined with was my eating habits. 

I met with a nutritionist a few times in the last couple months and got an assessment done that tells me what I burn at rest, what my body reacts to, and what foods I should focus on.

The good news? 
I was eating NOT ENOUGH calories! This was good news because I always wished I could eat more. 
Also, my nutritionist told me no more fat free foods. What?! That is great news because I love milk, full fat yogurt, etc. 

The bad news?
My body reacts very poorly to grains and other carbs (like sugar).

The nutritionist asked me if I bloated when I ate grains, if I would break out, if I gained weight quickly, etc. All my answers were YES! 

So, first- I challenged myself to do 21 days of fasting sugars because if you know me at all, I LOVE sugar.
I fasted and prayed about it and in a matter of no time- I made it 21 days.

I have now done 2 fasts since the beginning of the year- all with the help of the Lord.
I first did social media for 21 days, and now sugars. 

Cutting out sugars helped me realize that I do have the discipline to get strict with my eating choices. So I have made the decision to start 21 days of grain-free. 

Of course I did my research on what grain-free entails, tricks of the trade on how to be successful, etc. One thing the articles said was to pre-make and pre-pack your food. So that is exactly what I did!

First pre-packed meal? This delicious salad:


Whats included (all ingredients from whole foods):
Spinach- i cut up my spinach into little pieces so it's easier to eat for me.
Cilantro- I used this to add some extra flavor
1/2 cucumber
1/2 tomato
tbsp Almond Slices (oven roasted)
Italian blend organic cheese
OrganicVille Gluten-Free sun dried tomato vinaigrette (this is sooo good! I highly recommend it!)
All natural, organic, ROAM FREE chicken breast

This salad was so good!
300 calories
11 grams  carbs
9 grams of fat
40 grams of protein


Do you know of any good Grain-Free cookbooks I should try? Or any good recipes? 

Wish me luck!


19 comments:

  1. Best of luck going grain-free! I should probably cut out sugar for awhile and see if that helps with some of my energy levels... though that could be from just being busy all the time as well. You're an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. GOOD LUCK! It makes a huge change to your daily life, I promise you will feel a ton better. if only I had the self control to keep it up...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is not an area I have tried to cut out...I wish you all the best! I am sure there are some really good resources out there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy belated bday! I wish I could recommend a Grain-free cookbook for you but don't know any. Good luck with 21 days of grain-free eating :).

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like it would be hard to do, but if you conquered going sugar free then it'll probably be a breeze.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish you luck....going grain-free is the hardest thing for me to accomplish. A paleo diet would be good here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum looks delish! I'm sure you will blast through these 21 days!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My stomach always got bloated after eating grains, wheat, dairy and sugar! Paleo has been so awesome for me!! You are going to love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I cut out carbs for 2 months to see and dramatically lost 20 lbs. I was amazed. I introduced brown rice and better carbs into my diet and have been able to maintain the weightloss with exercise and other balanced foods.

    Chiara
    www.that-spark-of-light.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is so inspiring and motivating!! Thanks for sharing. I already am starting to feel soo good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks! I am excited! I feel better already :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks! I hope so!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you! It isn't easy, that's for sure! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for the birthday wishes and the encouragement with this 21 days :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good luck! I don't think I'd ever be able to cut out carbs, especially as Italian is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I agree with your nutritionist - fat free foods are no good! If you read the ingredient labels they make up for the lost fat by adding a bunch of unnatural fillers! Good luck on this journey!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is exciting! Not that you react badly to those foods - that you've finally found it out! It's awesome to have a problem like that finally solved, and the fact that you've made it through a fast is really impressive. That's something I really want to do but since I still live with my parents its tough to regulate. Maybe I can convince the whole family to jump on the band wagon. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are welcome! I appreciate them so much! Thanks for tuning in and showing love! <3