Image Map

Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Foodspirations: Stir Fry

Happy Tuesday!

Usually I post on Mondays, but sometimes Monday's can fill up so fast I look at the clock and it will be bed time! I guess that's a good thing for the beginning of the week, LOL :)

I have been trying to eat healthier and one way of doing that is making home-made foods rather than eating out. I feel I have a bad habit of eating out too much- how can I not? There are so many good places to go! 

I have been craving stir fry- so I decided to make a stir fry that is low sodium, low fat, and high in protein.

I started with putting onion, minced garlic and a little bit of oil in a wok (simmer heat). 
I added the chicken shortly after... believe it or not, the wok cooks things sooo fast that it literally takes the chicken 5-7 minutes to cook so keep that in mind when timing out when to add the noodles and veggies.


Cook the chicken until it is not longer pink.


 What I love most about stir fry, you can add pretty much any veggie you want. I chose snow peas, zucchini, mushrooms, and carrots. 


 This time, I used a rice noodle for the carb. I cooked them in boiling water for only about 5 minutes... they will continue to cook in the wok so you don't want to fully cook them in the water.

After the chicken was cooked, I put the chopped veggies in. I cooked them for a couple minutes until I put in the noodles in. I turned the heat up to about 250 degrees to give the veggies stronger heat to make them crisp.



I added the mostly cooked noodles shortly after. 

I then added a traditional stir fry sauce that I bought from Target. I chose to not make the sauce home made because this stir fry sauce already had every ingredient I needed to make it homemade and to be honest, I got lazy when I saw what went into make the sauce, LOL. I bought a classic stir fry sauce but they also have other stir fry sauces like thai peanut for Pad Thai. I chose the classic because it had no fat and it was low sodium.


I added about 3 tablespoons of the stir fry sauce ( I made a big batch). or you could add as much as you would like for flavor. 

I added a teaspoon of soy sauce because I love the salty taste but I didn't want to add too much because it is very high in sodium.


And Wah-lah! Within about 20-30 min I made a healthier, homemade stir fry. It tasted amazing! One thing I focus on is portion control- and this bit was enough to get me sooo full! 



So just to recap:

This is made in a wok. A great way to make home made stir fry among other things!

Ingredients:
Rice noodles
chicken breast
your choice of veggies
stir fry sauce ( you can look for a recipe to make our own or buy one from the store)
oil (I used olive because it's a healthier alternative)
minced garlic
diced onions

That's it! And you have a yummy dinner.

Fun Fact: Did you know that sauteing your veggies can actually retain a vegetable's nutrients? I have grown up thinking that the best way to eat a vegetable is raw- but that is not always the case!

Sautéed vegetables retain their vitamins and minerals, as well as taste and color!

Have a great Tuesday!

xoxo,
A

Follow me: Facebook || Instagram || Twitter || Pinterest || Bloglovin 


No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are welcome! I appreciate them so much! Thanks for tuning in and showing love! <3