Image Map

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Forgiveness, Moving Forward and Finding Joy


I feel led to talk about what I am sure all have heard: Forgiveness.

Personal Testimony:

Today on the bus, I was thanking Jesus for a great day and showing me His Presence (I like to spend time with Him on the bus lol) when all of a sudden a really bad thought came into my mind about a past thing that someone I loved did to me- random right?! No. It is spoken that whenever good is happening, the devil will try and take that good away from you. So even though I knew what was happening, I was having a hard time defying it. I could feel all my negative emotions rising up inside of me- and it made me have negative feelings for someone I love dearly. Thankfully Jesus stepped in and reminded me I can lean on Him.
I prayed to Him that He help forget these thoughts and remind me of the forgiveness I have chosen to give this person. I also prayed that He push the devil out of my mind because He does not belong there.
Sure enough, it stopped. Jesus told me to start thanking Him for all His blessings in that particular relationship- and to speak the Word to remind myself of forgiveness.
And it worked! I went on choosing to forgive and to love that person as Jesus loves me... 




Learning to TRULY Forgive:


"Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour."- 1 Peter 5:8

Have you had anything similar happen to you above but you cant seem to get over it? 

You're not the only one

I used to get to the point of forgiving but then I would know the devil was persuading me otherwise with negative thoughts in my head and trying to convince me that wasn't the best thing to do.

" Are you just going to let them get away with it?" 
"Do you want to live your life wondering 'what if'?
"You're not teaching them a lesson by letting it go!"
"They will just do it again"
They aren't deserving of forgiveness!"

These are just few of the things that would come in my head.
At a point, it took over my life. 
I couldn't be happy because I felt I didn't have the ability to forgive. 
I let the devil devour my thought process and it effected my relationship with certain people in my life.

The Word says that it is our duty as believers to forgive because Jesus forgives us (Mark 11:25; Matthew 6:14-15). 
It wasn't until I really started studying the Word that I truly understood the full meaning of what it says. It seems simple, but how many of us can truly apply it in everyday life?

Whether someone steps on our shoe or says hateful words- you have a choice on how to react: Positively or Negatively. 

Forgiveness is the same way: its a choice. 
You can choose to forgive or choose not to forgive.
Jesus CHOSE to pay the price for our sins and CHOSE to forgive us.
& we all know He didn't have to, but He did.

And that is the way He wants us to think about it. 
You never HAVE to do anything when it comes to forgiving (free will)- but what would be pleasing to God?
Do you want to repay evil with good?
Do you want to stay in bondage or do you want to be happy?

The Bible has countless verses that talk about loving and forgiving and replacing evil with good.




"Repay no one evil for evil, but give thought to do what is honorable in the sight of all. If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all. Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God, for it is written, “Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord.” To the contrary, “if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink; for by so doing you will heap burning coals on his head.” Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good"- Romans 12:17-21


Jesus wants you to let Him handle it! To pray to Him and ask Him to take care of it- because as humans we can only do so much. But Jesus has the power to turn any situation around for the better good of everyone. Only He can get truly change your heart and mind. 

He changed mine.

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." - 1 John 1:9

I started to think about all the things Jesus has forgiven me for where I was no longer held in bondage or felt no more guilt because I knew I was forgiven.

The list was endless. 
And I was forgiven because I just asked. I have done some heinous things in my life but I knew I was forgiven  by Jesus because He shed His blood for us. 

Thats how much He loves us.

To put a list on how much I forgive people isn't fair to them or to God. Christ showed us endless compassion and died for us so we could live- sinning or not. And to know I am already forgiven no matter what I do, I cant help but desire to be the same way towards others. 

Everyone deserves to be forgiven. And to forgive someone no matter the crime they have committed against you and to love them anyway is truly a Christ given gift. And for that I am thankful. 

How when you may not be forgiving, He is there to encourage you and help you make the RIGHT choice- you just have to want it!

Practicing forgiveness has really helped me move forward from the past, and also find joy in life today. I have chosen to turn to Christ instead and trust Him that He will make things good- and he NEVER fails. I am not always perfect at forgiving, but to know I have the best coach in the whole entire universe makes it SO worthwhile to keep going- and keep forgiving. : )

I hope this may have helped your forgive someone today. Because there is so much love and joy to let it go to waste! God Bless.

"In this the love of God was made manifest among us, that God sent his only Son into the world, so that we might live through him. In this is love, not that we have loved God but that he loved us and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins. Beloved, if God so loved us, we also ought to love one another."            - 1 John 4:9-11




xoxo, 

Aisha



1 comment:

  1. Wow! This really hit it on the nail. I really appreciate this because there are a couple people I have had a hard time forgiving. Thanks so much for posting this.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are welcome! I appreciate them so much! Thanks for tuning in and showing love! <3